Congratulations to the 2019 National Science Bee National Champions!
8th Grade Division: Darryl Wang, Middlesex Middle School, Darien, CT
7th Grade Division: Akshansh Chuahan, Daniel Wright Junior High School, Lincolnshire, IL
6th Grade Division: Joshua Wang, Wisconsin Hills Middle School, Brookfield, WI
Elementary School Division: Vishnu Mangipudi, Homeschool, Bellevue, WA
Preliminary round and playoff round results for all students are available through the spreadsheets here. Please note there are different tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheets by which you can access the age division and rounds that you are looking for.
Thanks for all of your support throughout the 2018-2019 academic year! Further details on the National Science Bee in the 2019-2020 academic year will be posted here by the end of July 2019.
General Information from the 2018-2019 Academic Year
International Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that the 2019 Middle School and Elementary School National Championships of the National Science Bee was held on the weekend of June 7-10 (Friday through Monday) at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare in Rosemont, Illinois, next to Chicago. The National Science Bee itself took place on June 9 and 10.
Registration for all Nationals events is available at this link but please read the following before proceeding further! Registering implies acceptance of the following policies:
OFFICIAL HOTEL POLICY: Staying at an official hotel is required for all students and families coming from outside a 3 hour driving radius per Google Maps.
Official Hotels (updated on May 30)
UPDATE MAY 30: The time period to book at all three official hotels as listed below has expired. If you are coming from over 3 hours away and have not yet booked a hotel room, please email email@example.com for further information on where to book.
1. Room block deadline has passed – Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook – rooms are $129 a night (either a king bed with a pullout sofa or two queen beds) including breakfast for all guests. This hotel is approximately 25 minutes from O’Hare and the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. Complimentary shuttle service to and from O’Hare on June 5-11, and to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare on June 7-10 will be provided.
2. Currently full or nearly full – Hyatt Regency O’Hare – rooms are $145 (king) or $155 (double / double) – Rooms must be booked through this link (note that this block is likely to be sold out)
3. Currently full or nearly full – Hilton Chicago O’Hare Airport – rooms are $154 (both king and double/double – please reserve a king room if you can, as we have a limited number of rooms with 2 double beds, and we are trying to keep those for families planning on having 3 or 4 people stay in a room) – Rooms must be booked through this link (note that this website may say National History BN Bowl or something like that, but rest assured it is the valid link for all competitions, including geography ones). Free shuttles will be available to bring students and families from this hotel to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare where the National Championships are taking place.
An official schedule of events * and their start times of all events at International Academic Competitions’ 2019 Middle School and Elementary School National Championships, including the National Science Bee, is now available for download here.
* = This “official” version (updated on May 29, 2019) contains a few slight modifications to the earlier “confirmed” and one update to the the “finalized” schedule (this is the one described in bold below) that had been posted here throughout the early months of 2019. These include:
-There will be four preliminary rounds in the Academic Bee; all students will play in all 4 rounds. These will begin at 9am on June 7 (rounds 1 and 2) and 9am on June 8 (rounds 3 and 4). Round 2 will begin as soon as all rooms have finished Round 1. Round 4 will begin as soon as all rooms have finished Round 3.
-There will be 4 (not 3 as first posted!) preliminary rounds in the Intl. Geography Bee, beginning at 6:30pm on June 7. Students competing in IGB will play in 3 of these 4 rounds. These rounds have official start times – namely, 6:30, 7:05, 7:40, and 8:15.
-There will only be two rounds of playoffs in the Academic Bee. These will begin at 3:15pm on June 8.
-The other events on the evening of June 8 have also been moved up in the schedule. The History Bee playoffs now begin at 5pm. The Intl. Geography Bee playoffs now begin at 6:45pm. The Humanities Bee finals now begins at 8pm.
-The start time for the History Bowl is now 8:30am on June 9.
-The start time for the Academic Bowl is now 8:30am on June 10.
OFFICIAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS REFUND POLICY:
A total of $20,000 worth of prizes will be on offer at IAC 2019 IAC Middle School and Elementary School National Championships! Click here to download a file showing how these prizes are allocated.
Costs of Individual Events at Nationals
$135 – National History Bee
$135 – National Science Bee
$115 – US Academic Bee
$80 – US Geography Olympiad (overlaps with National Humanities Bee; a student can’t compete in both)
$80 – International Geography Bee
$50 – National Humanities Bee (overlaps with US Geography Olympiad; a student can’t compete in both)
* There are no caps on the sizes of teams at Nationals, but of course no more than four students can play at any given time on a team. Teams may carry as many substitute players as they wish.
No discounts are available for bringing buzzers. If your school is interested in providing experienced coaches as readers at Nationals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about possible reader discounts, which will be handled on a case by case basis.
Students will qualify for the National Championships in the National Science Bee based on their finish at the Regional Finals. The top 50% of students at Regional Finals in each age division of the National Science Bee will qualify for Nationals. For further questions, please contact email@example.com
Thanks, and good luck in qualifying! We hope to see you at Nationals in June!