The National Science Bee now consists of Varsity, Junior Varsity, Middle School, and Elementary School Divisions. Please explore this website to learn more about how the competition works at each level.
Middle School and Elementary School National Science Bee Stages for 2020-2021
The National Science Bee’s Middle & Elementary School Division will comprise three stages during the 2020-2021 academic year. They will all be held online. The first stage is offered free of charge; registration fees on a per student basis are charged for students who attend the Regional Finals and National Championships.
- Online Regional Qualifying Exam – Sponsor registration will open soon; we will update this page as soon as it does. The Online Regional Qualifying Exam for the National Science Bee has not opened yet either. It will open later this fall and will stay open until midnight PST on the evening of February 1, 2021. This exam may be administered at the student’s school under supervision or at home under supervision for students engaging in remote learning due to Covid-19, homeschooled students, and others as needed.
There is no cost for students to take the Online Regional Qualifying Exam. All students are encouraged to participate. Scores on the Online Regional Qualifying Exam will be utilized to determine which students have qualified for the Regional Finals. Scores will not be made public.
- Regional Finals – The 2021 National Science Bee Regional Finals will take place in February and March entirely online and will cost $40 per student. Their exact dates will be posted on the page here as soon as they are finalized. The top half students in each division at the Regional Finals will qualify for the National Championships.
- National Championships – The National Championships of the National Science Bee will be held online in June 2021 in conjunction with the National Championships of the National History Bee, National Humanities Bee, and US Academic Bee and Bowl as well as the Middle School and Elementary School Divisions of the National History Bowl, US Geography Championships, and International Geography Bee. It will cost $125 for each student to participate in the National Science Bee at the National Championships.
Varsity and Junior Varsity National Science Bee Stages for 2020-2021
The National Science Bee’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Divisions comprise two stages during the 2020-2021 academic year. The National Qualifying Exam registration fees on a per student basis are charged for students who attend the Regional Finals and National Championships. The JV Division is also open to students in 8th grade and younger who are also competing in the Middle School or Elementary School Division.
- National Qualifying Exam – The National Qualifying Exam is a 50 question multiple choice exam with questions on all aspects of science. Students receive 2 points for a correct answer, 0 points for an answer left blank, and -1 point for an incorrect response. This system rewards partial knowledge but not random lucky guesses. There are three versions of the National Qualifying Exam: A Set, B Set, and C Set. These can be taken with a teacher / homeschool instructor / community volunteer as a proctor. Students who score in the top 50% of the students in their age division, on a particular version of the exam qualify for the National Championships. The cost is $10 to take with a proctor independently.
- National Championships – The 2021 Varsity & JV National Championships of the National Science Bee will take place online in April 2021. The format of the competition will be entirely buzzer-based with 4 rounds of preliminaries and 2 rounds of playoffs. The cost is $95 for each student.