The National Science Bee now consists of Varsity, Junior Varsity, Middle School, and Elementary School Divisions. Please explore this website to learn more about how the competition works at each level.
Varsity and Junior Varsity National Science Bee Stages for 2021-2022
The National Science Bee’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Divisions comprise two stages during the 2021-2022 academic year, the National Qualifying Exam and the National Championships. The JV Division is also open to students in 8th grade and younger who qualify on the National Qualifying Exam only.
- National Qualifying Exam – The National Qualifying Exam is a 50 question multiple choice exam with questions on all aspects of science. Students receive 2 points for a correct answer, 0 points for an answer left blank, and -1 point for an incorrect response. This system rewards partial knowledge but not random lucky guesses. There are three versions of the National Qualifying Exam: A Set, B Set, and C Set. These can be taken either at a Regional competition site or online with a teacher / homeschool instructor / community volunteer as a proctor. Students who score in the top 50% of the students in their age division, either in person at a Regional site or online, on a particular version of the exam qualify for the National Championships. The cost is $10.
- National Championships – The 2022 Varsity & JV National Championships of the National Science Bee will take place in conjunction with the IAC Varsity/JV National Championships on April 21-24, 2022. The format of the competition will be entirely buzzer-based with 4 rounds of preliminaries and 2 rounds of playoffs. The cost is $95 for each student.
Middle School and Elementary School National Science Bee Stages for 2021-2022
The National Science Bee’s Middle & Elementary School Division will comprise three stages during the 2021-2022 academic year. The first stage is offered free of charge; registration fees on a per student basis are charged for students who attend the Regional Finals and National Championships.
- Online Regional Qualifying Exam – Sponsor registration for the ORQE will open September 27; we will update this page as soon as it does. When it does open, it will stay open until midnight PST on the evening of January 25, 2022. This exam may be administered at the student’s school under supervision or at home under supervision for students engaging in remote learning due to Covid-19, homeschooled students, and others as needed.
There is no cost for students to take the Online Regional Qualifying Exam. All students are encouraged to participate. Scores on the Online Regional Qualifying Exam will be utilized to determine which students have qualified for the Regional Finals. Scores will not be made public.
- Regional Finals – The 2022 National Science Bee Regional Finals will take place in person on weekends in January through May and will cost $40 per student. Their exact dates will be posted on the page here as soon as they are finalized. The top half students in each division at the Regional Finals will qualify for the National Championships.
- National Championships – The National Championships of the National Science Bee will be held in Orlando, FL in conjunction with the IAC Middle/Elementary National Championships on June 17-20, 2022. It will cost $125 for each student to participate in the National Science Bee at the National Championships.